This Braised Short Ribs Recipe with Broccoli Rabe, a good old-fashioned, easy meat and potatoes meal, is just what your friends and family need. Short ribs are always just the comfort food you need. Those beautiful little bone in pieces of meat become a wonderful fall off the bone taste treat. The house smells wonderful and you look like you really worked hard at making dinner.
This delicious braised short ribs recipe incorporates fresh roasted vegetables and potatoes - including. broccoli rabe. It's a perfect fall comfort food dinner for the whole family. Easy Peasy!! What’s not to love?
Recipe by guest blogger @WyldGourmet
INGREDIENTS FOR BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE:
- 2 pounds Felton Angus Beef short ribs
- One sweet onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef broth (I use “Better than Bouillon” because it is so tasty)
- 1 cup red wine (you can omit this)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ pound baby Yukon gold potatoes
- One bunch of broccoli rabe
- 4 diagonally peeled and cut carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS FOR BRAISED SHORT RIBS RECIPE:
- Melt your butter and oil in a deep cast iron skillet and heat to high. Add the short ribs and sear on all sides until you have a good crusty sear on all sides. Remove your short ribs and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the onions, garlic, beef broth, wine, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove on medium low for about 15-20 minutes.
- Make a slurry of the cornstarch by adding it to ½ cup of cold water stirred until well mixed and then whisk this into the the mixture that has been simmering until thickened into a nice sauce.
- Return the short ribs to the skillet making sure to coat the ribs with the sauce. Put a lid on your skillet or cover tight with aluminum foil and put into preheated oven at 275F for 4 hours.
- Prepare your potatoes and carrots by tossing them with some oil and salt and pepper and roast them along with the ribs on a sheet pan or another skillet for the last one hour of the braising time. Add the broccoli rabe to the sheet pan the last half hour, as they don’t take as long to cook. Add more seasoning of salt and pepper as desired.
- When done place the ribs on a plate and serve with your roasted vegetables and potatoes, and a nice side of the braised rib gravy.