Homemade Potato Rolls are part of every holiday at the ranch. Grandma’s Potato Rolls are a traditional yeast bread that take dinner rolls to a new level. This classic homemade bread recipe has been handed down by generations and is the most requested for every special occasion.INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package (2 teaspoons) yeast
- 1 large potato
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 7 cups flour
- Wash, slice and boil potato in a sauce pan until tender. Be sure to use plenty of water but no salt!
- Remove boiled potato and mash. Set aside 1 cup mashed potatoes.
- Pour potato water into measuring cup. Set aside 1 1/2 cups potato water.
- In a custard cup, dissolve 1/4 cup warm water and yeast. Mix until yeast is dissolved. Add a dash of sugar to test yeast. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lukewarm potato water, sugar, salt and yeast mixture. Begin mixing with dough attachment on stand mixer.
- Add lukewarm butter and eggs. Continue mixing.
- Add lukewarm mashed potatoes and gradually add in 1 cup of flour.
- Mix thoroughly adding remaining flour 1 cup at a time. Continue mixing between each cup of flour. Dough will begin forming a ball.
- Knead dough in stand mixer or by hand for 5 -10 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly greased bowl to rise. Lightly grease top of dough and cover with a towel.
- Place dough in warm place and let rise for 2 hours. Punch down. Begin rise #2 or dough can be refrigerated overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and place dough in warm place. Rise for 2 hours.
- 2 hours before baking, shape dough into desired rolls.
- Place dough on greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in size.
- Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.
- Butter tops of each roll after baking to preserve soft crust.
DOWNLOAD RECIPE FOR GRANDMA'S POTATO ROLLS